Self-Guided Bike Tours
A Step Above the Typical Self-Guided Tour.
Let us curate your dream cycling vacation!
Our self-guided cycling holidays blend privacy with independence, letting guests choose how, and with whom, they ride.
Customization and flexibility are at the heart our self-guided bike tours. From choosing start and end dates to the level of difficulty and terrain, to how fast you want to ride, self-guided guests choose their own adventure. Once trips are underway, total freedom on any given day is granted. Rise early? Stay in bed? Spend more or less time here or there?
Guests are free to choose. And to ensure your cycling vacation is perfect, a local concierge/guide will always be available and nearby to support you. Allow us to curate a custom private self-guided bike tour!
Private Bike Tours
Fit Your Needs
We're on your schedule
Concierge Level Service
Our Self-Guided Bike Tours
We explore the best of the France, Italy and the USA. We create experiences from the rolling hills of Provence, the Dordogne, and Tuscany to the heights of the French Alps & Pyrenees and the Blue Ridge in Western North Carolina.
On one of our self-guided bike tours, you will experience the best balance of personal service and exploration. A vacation on your terms!
Start your search below and allow us to curate your cycling vacation!
If this is a "self-guided" tour, why do I have a guide/concierge?
We deliver this level of service because you’re exploring an area unknown to you, and having a local contact provides great peace of mind. Let us streamline your holiday so that you can focus on having fun! OBT’s level of service is well above the typical self-guided experience.
What is included?
- All hotel accommodations – mostly 3 and 4 stars but ask for custom accommodation requests.
- An OBT cycling jersey!
- The use of a Garmin Touring GPS unit during the tour for worry-free routing. This feature is included in your fee for tours in Provence, Tuscany, and Asheville. For other destinations GPS unit rentals are available. The unit comes with your daily routes pre-loaded. For destination without this feature: 1) you will receive the GPS courses to upload to your GPS device, or 2) We can rent you a GPS unit.
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel.
- Meals as explained in the tour itinerary pages. Usually, this means all breakfasts, no lunches, and some dinners.
- Detailed route notes, maps, and tourist information
- Your personal guide/concierge
What is not included?:
- Transportation to start location and from finish locations
- Bikes, but we have rental bikes available
- Travel and Health Insurance
- Admission to site-seeing venues, unless explicitly mentioned as included
Why is a Private tour better?
Have you ever been stuck with a group of people you don’t know and may not particularly like? Or have been required to go along with tour plans or excursions that you were not excited about? Have you ever been in a tour group where you feel like you’re being herded along and hurried regardless of what you’d like to do? We’ve been there and don’t like it either. A private tour allows you to travel when you want and with whom you want. Bring your friends, family, partner, or simply yourself. Let us curate an experience for YOU!
We're on your schedule? How?
- YOU get to name the dates of your tour. You don’t have to choose from a calendar of tours that require you to adjust the timing your vacation plans. Want to start on a Wednesday? Sure! Want to be on tour for 5 days rather than the 6 days on our sample itinerary? That is OK with us.
- When on your tour you are not being pushed to get on the bike at a certain time with a group. You rise, have breakfast, and roll out when you’re ready.
- Want to spend more time exploring an area on a daily riding route? Sure! Just make sure you get to the hotel in time for dinner.
Are bike rentals available? If so, what kind?
How customizable are your tours?
We have a minimum of 3 or 4 nights on tour, depending on destination.
How are you "a step above the typical self-guided tour"?
If you’re looking to experience a polished professional tour, we are your only choice.
Are GPS units provided?
At the beginning of your tour, your local guide will show you how to use the unit. Additionally, we provide instructions that you can reference when needed. As a backup and supplement to the GPS, we provide a local map as well as routing instructions.
For all other destinations, we GPS provide rental options.
How short can a tour be? Do you provide one-day guiding?
Can I have a guided rather than a self-guided tour?
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY
“The team at the Outfitter Bicycle Tours put together an amazing holiday that I’ll never forget. We had great places to stay/eat and we were always in the thick of the action. The tour rides catered for riders of all levels and we somehow managed to visit my favourite team on a tour ride! I’ll be back to do it all again soon.”
“We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this tour – well thought out bike routes, very good hotel accommodations (nice, clean rooms and substantial breakfasts), and excellent choice of breweries and brewery restaurants (including brewery tours when available). It was obvious that a great deal of attention to detail had been given to this tour and customer service and client satisfaction was of ut… Read more
“The support was incredible – so nice to have a car on the route for water, and so we did not have to lug gear for weather changes. With all the elevation, this was comforting. Exceptional mechanical support. We did not expect this kind of on-road support!”
I always had an idea that I wanted to go see the Tour de France once in my life. Well, I have now gone on three TdF trips with Outfitter Bicycle Tours as the experience was that good. Jamie and Joy’s low key, friendly and flexible approach made riding in the Alps an amazing experience. They did a great job of helping me determine what would maximize my experience. If I wanted an easier day, they h… Read more
“I was able to watch Tour de France action when I wanted and ride the beautiful roads and passes of France when I wanted, and the flexibility to do either was what I most appreciated. Conquering Mont Ventoux, Col d Galibier, Col d Semnoz, Col d Serene, Alpe de Huez, riding alongside Andy Schleck and Jens Voigt on their rest day, and 40+ mph descents that went on for miles are just some of the hi… Read more
“WOW! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE ADVENTURE!!! Jamie and Joy Gilpin – along with their staff members – created one of the most memorable bike adventures we’ve ever experienced. My husband and I have had the very good fortune of biking all over the world, which should underscore how well planned and organized Outfitter Bicycle Tours is! Every detail was considered, from the exceptional accommodations at eve… Read more