Our self-guided cycling holidays blend privacy with independence, letting guests choose how, and with whom, they ride. Customization and flexibility are at the heart our self-guided tours. From choosing start and end dates to the level of difficulty and terrain, to how fast they want to ride, self-guided guests choose their own adventure. Once trips are underway, total freedom on any given day is granted. Rise early? Stay in bed? Spend more or less time here or there? Guests are free to choose. And help ensure your cycling vacation is perfect, a local concierge/guide will always be available and nearby to support you.
- We are on your schedule. You name the dates, and we curate your private and custom holiday experience.
- Your Personal Concierge/Guide. Our local contact is dedicated to ensuring that your holiday goes as smoothly as possible. From greeting you at the beginning of your tour and curating excursions to taking care of mechanical issues, luggage transfers, assistance with routing, to roadside help. They are a phone call away, and there for you.
- Worry Free Routing by GPS. Garmin GPS units with pre-loaded daily routes are included in many destinations, and available for rent in others.
- Need a bike? We have rental bikes, including hybrid, road and in some destinations eBikes.
Whether it’s a romantic couple’s getaway you seek or an intimate gathering with friends and family, custom tours are an ideal option. Let us save you the time, uncertainty, and risk that would come from planning each detail of your tour. By working with us, you will get all the autonomy you crave as you navigate our destinations, with none of the hassles.
The Outfitter Bicycle Tours Difference
Our self-guided tour option is unlike any other tour in the market. What is a Self-Guided tour? It is a tour where you dictate the itinerary and timing. Follow one of our itineraries or suggest your own! You get to leverage our expertise, and we take care of you every step of the way – from the first contact with us to your last moments on your tour. We delight our customers by offering the following:
- Freedom of design. With our help, guests craft their own itineraries, riding and sightseeing entirely at their own pace. We assist all guests effectively, regardless of any previous destination awareness, from those with a list of must-sees to those relying solely on our expertise for guidance. Your tour may be exactly like one of our suggested itineraries or something completely custom.
- A dedicated concierge. From greeting guests when they arrive, to personally handling luggage transfers, to curating excursions, to problem-solving (e.g., flat tires and other unforeseen issues) our concierges assist guests daily. They also set you up on your rental bikes, and can help with routing and simple questions. The concierge is a phone call away and is there to help you! Each tour group works with a single, dedicated concierge who can be called upon for in-person assistance at any time.
- Carefully-chosen inclusions. Unlike other tour companies that choose hotels and included meals based on price, we choose ours based on comfort. We consistently opt for the best 3-star hotels and high-quality restaurants that offer the experience that our guests want. Additionally, self-guided tours allow guests seeking 4-star or 5-star accommodation to easily upgrade, where such accommodations are available.
- Family-owned since 1996. With hundreds of tours, more than a thousand satisfied clients from all over the world, and scores of positive reviews and testimonials to our credit, we are a proven outfit with a long track record of excellent results.
- One of the highest repeat/return rates in the industry. Many of our clients enjoy our tours so much that they choose to ride with us again and again. Our referral and rewards programs are designed to thank repeat customers for their business.
What is included:
- All hotel accommodations – mostly 3 and 4 stars but ask for custom accommodation requests.
- An OBT cycling jersey!
- The use of a Garmin Touring GPS unit during the tour for worry-free routing. This feature is included in your fee for tours in Provence, Tuscany, and Asheville. For other destinations rentals are available. The unit comes with your daily routes pre-loaded. For destination without this feature: 1) you will receive the GPS courses to upload to your GPS device, or 2) We can rent you a GPS unit.
- Luggage transfers from hotel to hotel
- Meals as explained in the tour itinerary pages. Usually, this means all breakfasts, no lunches, and some dinners.
- Detailed route notes, maps, and tourist information
- Your personal guide/concierge (see above)
What is not included:
- Transportation to start location and from finish locations
- Bikes, but we have rental bikes available.
- Travel and Health Insurance
- Admission to site-seeing venues, unless explicitly mentioned as included
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY
“We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this tour – well thought out bike routes, very good hotel accommodations (nice, clean rooms and substantial breakfasts), and excellent choice of breweries and brewery restaurants (including brewery tours when available). It was obvious that a great deal of attention to detail had been given to this tour and customer service and client satisfaction was of ut… Read more
“The team at the Outfitter Bicycle Tours put together an amazing holiday that I’ll never forget. We had great places to stay/eat and we were always in the thick of the action. The tour rides catered for riders of all levels and we somehow managed to visit my favourite team on a tour ride! I’ll be back to do it all again soon.”
“I was able to watch Tour de France action when I wanted and ride the beautiful roads and passes of France when I wanted, and the flexibility to do either was what I most appreciated. Conquering Mont Ventoux, Col d Galibier, Col d Semnoz, Col d Serene, Alpe de Huez, riding alongside Andy Schleck and Jens Voigt on their rest day, and 40+ mph descents that went on for miles are just some of the hi… Read more
“The support was incredible – so nice to have a car on the route for water, and so we did not have to lug gear for weather changes. With all the elevation, this was comforting. Exceptional mechanical support. We did not expect this kind of on-road support!”
I always had an idea that I wanted to go see the Tour de France once in my life. Well, I have now gone on three TdF trips with Outfitter Bicycle Tours as the experience was that good. Jamie and Joy’s low key, friendly and flexible approach made riding in the Alps an amazing experience. They did a great job of helping me determine what would maximize my experience. If I wanted an easier day, they h… Read more
California Wine Country